Manager, Finance and Operations
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Ottawa, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Humane Canada™ is an organization that works towards the respect and humane treatment of all animals within Canada. As a team member, you will work with a Management Team that advances the welfare of animals on a national stage and will be involved in promoting the interests of animals to government, policy makers, industry and the public at large
The Manager of Finance and Operations will be responsible for the daily functions and financial and corporate administration of Humane Canada™ in a remote environment. The role offers opportunity for an individual interested in a dynamic growth environment with a passion for service delivery while maintaining focus on the mission of the organization, which is to advance the welfare of animals in Canada by ending animal cruelty, improving animal protection and promoting the humane treatment of all animals.
- Administer payroll, A/P, invoicing, bank reconciliations, and GL accounting, embracing a hands-on approach as your knowledge of the organization grows.
- Analyze and prepare accurate monthly, quarterly, and year-end financials and provide them in a timely manner to the executive leadership, board of directors, and finance committee.
- Conduct all financial, program, and grant accounting/reporting, ensuring resources are allocated in full compliance with charitable accounting principles and standards.
- Manage the annual budgeting process by developing financial measurement tools, reporting, timelines, and including organizational leadership in decision making.
- Work with third-party auditors on annual audit, ensuring the ability to furnish transaction backups on request.
- Administer and implement finance-related capacity building projects to improve efficiency and systems.
- Lead organization-wide fiscal management, working with leadership to educate and build an environment of collective financial/operational responsibility and accountability for staff and board. Serve on the Finance Committee and report occasionally to the full board of directors.
- Support the development of an efficient, scalable, and sustainable business model that supports progressive growth.
- Liaise with the bank and other financial services suppliers.
- Maintain all financial files.
- Oversee all daily functions of a remote organization and ensure that both short term and long-term goals and objectives are met.
- Lead and manage routine functions of human resources, including support of hiring and interviewing staff and administering payroll, benefits, leave, and performance evaluations.
- Ensure the timely submission of statutory filings, and that policies and practices are in compliance with provincial and federal laws, government agencies and funders, and reviewed and updated annually.
- Lead annual insurance renewal process, federal reporting and organizational legal compliance. Oversee organizational risk management.
- Manage needs of growing staff and optimize organization’s workflows.
- Ensures all organizational policies and procedures are accurate and up-to-date.
- Ensure all corporate documents are kept up-to-date. This includes Corporate Registration, non-profit/charitable status registration, corporate policies, and corporate bylaws.
- Provide support for Board of Directors and Committee including assembling board package for distribution to members and other relevant parties; preparing agendas, briefing reports, background documents and other correspondence in consultation with Chairperson and CEO.
- Education/Experience – University degree in a related field including accounting, business, and finance, plus 4 - 6 years work experience in a finance or administration management position.
- A valid driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle is required.
- Experience maintaining day-to-day finances of a non-profit organization and advanced knowledge of government/CRA requirements.
- Grant management and/or reporting experience.
- Familiarity working with remote teams.
- English is essential; bilingual (English/French) an asset.
- Proficient with Quick Books, Raiser’s Edge, Sharepoint and Microsoft Teams.
- Understanding of Human Resources and implementation of best practices.
- Strong strategic and operational skills, with the ability to work in a highly collaborative, consultative environment with other staff and volunteers to achieve success.
- High degree of professionalism with the ability to prioritize to meet required deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Resourceful and organized; able to manage competing priorities, complex situations and deadlines while establishing and executing long-term plans, leveraging immediate opportunities and managing short-term objectives.
- Self-starter, team player and relationship possessing a positive, forward thinking entrepreneurial approach to all areas of work.
Remote nature of position:
- Role is fully remote and successful candidate would be required to perform responsibilities reliably and effectively through technology but also must be based in Ottawa to perform some administration.
- Working hours are flexible but availability will be required between 9am and 5pm EST (Eastern Time Zone).
- Ability to travel for role within Canada from time to time.
More about Humane Canada™
Founded in 1957, Humane Canada™ represents SPCAs and Humane Societies from coast to coast to coast as well as an increasing number of municipalities, animal welfare groups and rescue organizations that make up the sector. We have a simple vision – a humane Canada. This vision was so important to us that in 2018 we publicly changed our name to Humane Canada. To achieve that vision we drive positive, progressive change to end animal cruelty, improve animal protection and promote the humane treatment of all animals.
As the convener of the largest animal welfare community in Canada, we advance the welfare of animals, with a strong national voice promoting the interests and concerns of animal welfare to government, policy makers, industry, and the public. We believe that each animal possesses intrinsic value, remarkable complexity, and inherent dignity, and as such is deserving of respect and moral concern. We elevate animal welfare through our values of collaboration and evidence-based thought leadership while building integrated, strategic professional teams that utilize systems thinking to create an effective and lasting change.
Should you be interested in learning more about this impactful opportunity with Humane Canada™, please apply today with your resume along with a thoughtful personalized cover letter that displays your qualifications, enthusiasm, and communication style. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be filled when the right candidate is identified.
Humane Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.