- Job Type
- Job Level
- Victoria, BC
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Are you passionate about conservation, and wildlife? We are too – come join us!
Pacific Wild www.pacificwild.org is a non-profit with an office located in Victoria, British Columbia. We are committed to defending wildlife and their habitat by developing and implementing conservation solutions in collaboration with First Nations communities, scientists, organizations, and a mobilized citizenry. Pacific Wild supports innovative research, public education, community outreach, and awareness to achieve the goal of lasting environmental protection in the Great Bear Rainforest. Our team pursues projects and activities through three main initiatives in order to achieve our conservation goals: Ocean, Land, and Community.
We are a team of talented communication experts, filmmakers, photographers, writers, and researchers working together in day-to-day operations while maintaining our overarching goals. Staff manages their own time and responsibilities and always keep in mind that everything we do is a team effort. We are passionate and respectful and committed to recruiting people with a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds.
What we offer
- Competitive compensation with a great benefits plan
- An environment that fosters the spirit of creativity and innovation
- Opportunities for advancement
- Mentoring and coaching opportunities
- Organizational values that align with personal values
- A culture that supports diversity in the workplace
The Finance Manager will execute a variety of finance related activities including day-to-day accounting (processing invoices, payments, payroll and banking), financial analysis, budgeting and forecasting, and regular and ad-hoc reporting for two separate but related organizations, Pacific Wild Alliance (Canada) and Pacific Wild Alliance, Inc. (USA).
Reporting to the Executive Director and Operations Director, the Finance Manager will be very hands-on, organized, dedicated, flexible and forward thinking with a high level of integrity. We’re looking for that ‘go-to’ person that is not only analytical and inquisitive but is very comfortable performing a wide variety of accounting tasks and is not afraid to roll up their sleeves to get the job done.
- Maintain comprehensive, complete and accurate financial records detailing in full every transaction handled by, with or for Pacific Wild.
- Oversee the day-to-day accounting of two separate but related organizations, including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, expense claims and month-end adjusting journal entries
- Prepare and verify the accuracy of various reports and analyses such as a monthly-consolidated financial report and variance analysis, and comparative expenditure statements.
- Address financial enquiries from Senior Leadership with regards to monthly reports, budgets and contracts.
- Manage funding contracts, proposals and on-going modifications
- Track grant expenditures and balances along with fund transfers from PWA US to PWA Canada
- Develop and monitor budgets for general operating and projects expenses
- Develop, analyze and summarize financial information to provide timely and accurate reporting of revenues and expenditures
- Proactively anticipate potential financial management issues, provide projections to senior staff and board
- Continually evaluates areas to reduce costs
- Provides senior leadership and staff with financial and cost accounting support
- Compile financial information for project reporting
- Liaise and provide information to external accounting firm to produce reviewed financial documents for federal filings
- Ensures charitable reporting and filing completed according to CRA requirements
- Monitor investment activity and include information in financial reporting
- Administer Group Extended Health Benefits Plan with Great West Life and Employer Health Tax.
Required Skills and Experience
- A university degree, with an emphasis in finance, business or public administration or a professional accounting designation or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 6 years of professional accounting experience at the management level
- 3 years managing the finances of a not-for-profit organization, experience within the charitable sector an asset
- Demonstrated experience in providing detailed financial analysis, advisory services and strategic policy and planning advice
- Demonstrated experience in analysing complex financial and business issues and preparing high-level reports
- Demonstrated process and project management experience, including simultaneously managing multiple projects under time constraints in an environment where priorities are constantly evolving and issues emerge and change rapidly
- Demonstrated experience with accounting programs (QuickBooks Intuit an asset), Bloomerang, CloudBusinessPayments, Microsoft Word and Excel, and the Google suite of applications
- Clear communication skills, both verbal and written
- Highly motivated and self-directed, with ability to work independently, manage projects, proactively solve problems, develop ideas, and execute on deliverables
- Ability to manage time and tasks effectively with strong attention to detail and organization
- Ability to handle highly sensitive financial information with confidentiality and discretion
- Payroll processing experience
This is an outstanding opportunity to join an organization where one can add value through best practice accounting, solid financial analysis, budget management and reporting.
To be considered for this opportunity, please apply with your resume and cover letter outlining your background and experience via the link on our web site. Applications will be accepted until February 18th, 2020.
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Pacific Wild is a non-profit located in the Great Bear Rainforest. We are committed to defending wildlife & their habitat on Canada’s Pacific coast by developing and implementing conservation solutions in collaboration with First Nations, scientists, organizations & individuals.