Education & Outreach Manager
- Job Type
- Part time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Position Title: Education & Outreach Manager
Who we are
Founded in 2016, the Institute for Change Leaders (ICL) teaches the skills that organizers need in order to win social change. ICL has taught community and political organizing to over five thousand organizers since launching. We believe students learn best when they practice what they learn. We work with organizations such as unions, non-profits, community and neighbourhood organizations and social service agencies to deliver tailored training.
What we teach
We teach how to tell a story to persuade and motivate others; how to recruit and retain volunteers; how to structure a team to encourage leadership development; integrate social justice values within organizing and how to strategize and choose tactics that build power. Our curriculum comes from Marshall Ganz, a Harvard professor who codified the relationship-building organizational framework we teach after the years he spent organizing the Civil Rights and United Farm Workers movements. He was a key trainer and organizing strategist behind President Obama’s presidential campaigns. The Institute offers the first accredited Marshall Ganz-based community-organizing course in Canada.
Builds partnerships and collaborate with community organizations and leaders. Generates new business through active recruitment. Coordinates the Institute for Change Leaders’ training sessions and workshops. Develops the Institute’s capacity by identifying, recruiting, training and stewarding the Institute’s workshop facilitators and trainers. Supports the Academic Lead Instructor, placement students, and project assistants to ensure the smooth operation of the Institute’s day-to-day activities. Job requirements and responsibilities
Key responsibilities and duties
The duties below may be assigned as needed, additional responsibilities and back-up support of a comparable nature may be required.
Generates new business through active client recruitment
- Develops strategy and implements sales tactics to recruit, engage, and mobilize clients around the country who want to take action for a cause
- Identifies prospective clients from existing client base and actively identifies and recruits new clients.
- In conjunction with the Academic Lead Instructor and the Executive Director, helps design new business training opportunities.
- Meets yearly new business revenue targets.
Coordinates, Trains and Stewards Workshop Facilitators
- Coordinates regular meetings with Institute instructors and facilitators to ensure they are trained, engaged in the Institute’s growth, and can demonstrate mastery of core skills in proven effective community organizing framework.
- Ensures all logistical details and roles for Institute workshops are clarified, assigned, and prepared in advance.
- Liaises with Institute stakeholders such as volunteers and other subject matter experts related to community to enhance the facilitators’ skills and run successful workshops.
- Coaches stakeholders from external organizations how to be facilitator for Institute workshops.
- Creates a stewardship plan for instructors, facilitators, volunteers and regularly communicates with the group to continually motivate and engage.
Coordinates Successful Institute Workshops
- Meets with external stakeholders to secure successful training contracts for the Institute.
- Negotiates contracts with organizations being trained.
- Recruits workshop leaders, and facilitators as required.
- Trains workshop leaders on how to use Institute processes and fulfill the Institute’s standards for Ganz-based training.
- Ensures communications promoting and coordinating registration in the Institute’s workshops reach target audiences, and ensures stakeholders’ information is properly tracked in the Institute’s database after trainings.
- Ensures briefing and debriefing of all trainings are of high quality, lessons on improvement learned from trainings are recorded and embedded in future trainings, evaluations are tracked, and a report including a memo of appreciation is sent to the relevant organization.
Manages direct reports
- Work with the team to recruit, interview, select, and hire placement and CareerBoost students from Ryerson.
- Provide oversight and direction to employees in accordance with the organization's policies and procedures.
- Coach, mentor, and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities.
- Lead employees using a performance management process that provides an overall context and framework to encourage employee contribution and includes goal setting, feedback, and performance development planning.
Minimum level of education and specialty/discipline required
- Completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma.
Minimum number of years and type/area of experience required given minimum education requirement
A minimum of 4 years’ experience in a revenue generation role, preferably at a not-for-profit or charity.
Required skills and demonstrated knowledge
- Proven track record of meeting new business revenue targets.
- Proven ability to build, manage and develop key stakeholder and client relationships.
- Management experience in a team-oriented workplace.
- Familiarity with Nationbuilder or similar CRM software
- Go-getter attitude with a diverse skill set, thrives as a proactive, independent problem-solving thinker who is comfortable on their feet.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.), Google Drive.
Required certifications, designation or licenses to complete the key responsibilities of the position
- Work-from-home until administrative offices open up.
This is a part-time position, working 24 hours a week (three days) with the potential for full-time in the future as the organization grows.
How to Apply
Please consolidate your resume and cover letter into one document and upload your application. Interviews will happen on a rolling basis until the position is filled.