- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Ontario, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
The Ottawa Food Bank is a respected charity with deep roots in the Ottawa community. We raise food and funds to support the 39,000 people who need emergency food every month. Working in partnership with 112 member agencies, we provide food and programming through community food banks, meal programs, Kickstart After 4 programs and our Community Harvest Farm program.
The Ottawa Food Bank is looking for an individual to fill a full-time, permanent position as a Communications Coordinator. The successful candidate will have experience and an in-depth understanding of communications, public relations, as well as social and traditional media.
The ideal candidate is a team player who has a mature attitude and experience coordinating communication projects and electronic and social media under tight timelines. They have a good judgement and prioritization skills and would be comfortable being out in the community representing the Ottawa Food Bank.
Under the direct supervision of the Communications Manager, the Communications Coordinator coordinates all aspects of the Ottawa Food Bank’s communications and brand. Under the direct supervision of Manager, Communications, the Communications Coordinator implements and executes communication strategies to advance the Ottawa Food Bank’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Contributes to the development of communications strategies and their implementation.
- Helps to measure the impact of overall communications strategy and related initiatives.
- Coordinates organization-wide design, messaging, and content generation, including electronic and print communications and manages all related supplier relationships.
- Collaborates with other teams in the organization on a regular or ad hoc basis to achieve brand consistency, coordination of messages, and a positive image among the Ottawa Food Bank’s various audiences (donors, event organizers, media, business community, etc.).
- Works with external stakeholders, member agencies and supporters as needed with regards to storytelling/testimonial opportunities, coordinating Ottawa Food Bank representation at speaking events (including preparation of speaking notes, etc.).
- Creates regular content to inform and engage donors for email, website and other communication mediums.
- Assists in the story telling and delivery of the Ottawa Food Bank message through innovative use of video, social media and emerging technologies.
- Coordinates, creates content, and engages with all the Ottawa Food Bank’s social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and LinkedIn). Responds to comments as needed in English and French.
- Coordinates and creates content for the Ottawa Food Bank’s website in English and French.
- Assist with the writing, editing, and distribution of news releases and media advisories for various announcements and events.
- Sends weekly internal communications.
- Responsible for monitoring and responding to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com email accounts.
- Coordinates and responds to media requests, develops media releases and advisories, conducts media monitoring and reporting.
- Acts as a spokesperson as needed (French and English).
- Working with the Community Engagement team and the Manager, Communications, coordinates all sponsorship deliverables, including development of designs, social media posts and other recognition opportunities.
- Coordinates the creation and production of printed publications various fact sheets and educational materials, New Donor and Monthly Donor welcome packages, etc.
- Assists with the editing and creation of Year in Review (annual report), the annual Ottawa Hunger Report, and Volunteer Impact Report
- Coordinates with vendors in the creation of print, broadcast and digital promotional materials such as newspaper/magazine ads, bus shelter posters, post cards, radio spots, etc.
- Creates print materials including banners, signs, fact sheets, etc. as needed.
- Liaises with graphic design and print suppliers.
- Other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
- General familiarity with office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook etc.) and database management
- A comfortable working knowledge of WordPress and ability to quickly learn other web applications and content management systems as needed
- Demonstrated understanding of effective electronic and print media strategies
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and presentation/public speaking skills in both official languages is essential
- Highly organized, independent and self-directed, with the ability and skills to establish and manage priorities
- Ability to maintain a calm and unruffled manner while working in a busy environment and as part of closely-knit team
- Committed to high performance standards and continuous improvement; open to adopting new, more efficient ways of planning and delivering communications strategies, etc.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to seek out solutions to challenges
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines, and flexibility to adapt to varying workload demands and varying schedules
- Strong customer service skills and a demonstrated attention to detail and quality assurance
- Judgment, tact, and discretion, as well as good interpersonal skills, are required when dealing with co-workers, volunteers, donors, member agencies, and the general public
Minimum of 1-3 years of experience in a communications role.
EDUCATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Post-secondary degree or college diploma in Communications, Public Relations or Marketing, or a combination of other education, training and experience. Proficiency with web applications/content management systems and social media is required. Strong writing skills are required. Basic photography skills for website, social media, newsletter, and other materials are an asset.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR CONTACTS
The work involves ongoing contact with co-workers, the media, and relationships with communications-related suppliers as well as donors and supporters of the Ottawa Food Bank.
Tact, discretion, and good judgment are necessary when dealing with contacts and making decisions regarding work priorities. The ability to effectively identify problems and resolve conflicts is required to work effectively as a team member.
This position has no direct reports.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERRORS
Errors in judgement or lack of discretion when dealing with the media, suppliers and other contacts could impact on the Ottawa Food Bank’s image and directly affect its ability to efficiently and effectively deliver food to partner agencies who serve the needy.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND TRAVEL
Work is performed in an office environment. Some other duties are performed in the warehouse and at offsite venues. Work after hours to manage social media accounts is a regular requirement. Travel is usually limited to the Ottawa Region.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The work is varied and stressful at times. There are frequent interruptions. Visual stress occurs when using a computer for long periods of time. Limited physical activity is required to perform the duties of the position. Some standing, walking, bending and lifting is required at offsite events.
Excellent English and French language skills (verbal and written) are a requirement of the position.
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, permanent role.
COMPENSATION: Salary range starting at $46,500+ and commensurate with background and experience. Excellent benefits provided.
This job posting closes on January 13, 2020 - please note the review of candidates and selection process will not begin until after the closing date.
Apply by using the link below. When applying please provide a cover letter and resume which clearly indicate how your meet the requirements of the position.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The Ottawa Food Bank welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.