Relief PSW - Downtown Programs
- Job Type
- Casual/On Call
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
LOFT Community Services is a unique and dynamic charitable organization that supports people living with complicated issues such as mental and physical health challenges, substance abuse, poverty and homelessness. Serving over 5300 people and providing 1654 units of supportive housing last year, LOFT is one of Ontario’s largest mental health service providers of its kind. In 2018 LOFT was a Nonprofit Employer of Choice™ Award (NEOC) recipient.
To help fulfill its mission, LOFT is hiring Relief PSWs.
The Relief PSW provides assistance to address the physical, cognitive, mental health and addiction needs of psychogeriatric clients living at various downtown program locations. This consists of providing individual support with the personal activities of daily living to facilitate a normalized lifestyle for the client and to assist them in gaining the skills required to live within the supportive housing program and be part of the larger community. The staff member will maintain the established routines of the program including all security, fire and general health and safety practices. The Relief PSW will perform these and other delegated responsibilities to ensure the quality of personal care of the clients of the program.
Note: This position involves front line care for LOFT’s clients. This may require work with COVID+ clients/staff, or work during declared COVID outbreaks.
Staff will also be required to work in residents’ rooms and may therefore be exposed to COVID positive clients and second hand smoke.
- Completion of a post secondary education in Human Services (i.e. Personal Support Worker Certificate, Registered Practical Nurse Certificate);
- Experience with vulnerable, older adults and seniors with serious mental illness, cognitive and addiction challenges who have been longer term hospital patients;
- Knowledge and proven experience working with clients in a PSR (Psychosocial Rehabilitation) approach;
- Knowledge of social services and community services for seniors;
- Knowledge of and experience in delivering direct services in accordance with psychosocial ‘recovery’ principles;
- Ability to organize and work with individuals and groups in the areas of assessment, problem solving and crisis management;
- Ability to interact with clients in a positive and supportive manner;
- Physically able to perform demanding body mechanics (i.e. lifting, transferring, etc.);
- First Aid and CPR certification;
- Good oral and written skills; excellent computer skills;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Understanding of cultural competency and anti-oppression framework;
- Reflective of a multi-barriered group, as serviced by the program, a strong asset
- Ability to communicate in a different language, an asset.
TO APPLY: Send resume with cover letter to Human Resources,
LOFT Community Services is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. LOFT is committed to making employment opportunities accessible in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Upon request, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the application and hiring process.
Contact email@example.com or (416) 979-1994 to discuss your accommodation requirements.
PLEASE INCLUDE: “Relief PSW - Downtown” in the subject line of any emails.
CLOSING DATE: November 2, 2020