Relief Youth Worker
- Job Type
- Part time
- Job Level
- Junior/Entry level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Covenant House helps youth ignite their potential and reclaim their lives. As Canada’s largest agency serving youth who are homeless, trafficked or at risk, we offer the widest range of 24-7 services to about 350 young people each day.
As a national leader, we educate and advocate for long-term change to improve the lives of vulnerable youth. This includes influencing public policy, leading awareness and prevention programs and continually building and sharing our knowledge. As a learning organization, we strive for excellence and programs with impact.
More than a place to stay, we provide life-changing care with unconditional love and respect. We meet youth’s immediate needs and then we work together to achieve their future goals. We offer housing options, health and well-being support, training and skill development, and ongoing care once youth move into the community.
Thanks to our donors, who contribute almost 80 per cent of our $33 million annual operating budget, we are able to deliver these comprehensive programs and services.
Since 1982, Covenant House has supported more than 95,000 young people.
View Our Culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFlhDTljow0&feature=youtu.be
In this position the candidate will be responsible for direct implementation of the Covenant House’s philosophy, mission statement and policies as they pertain to residential care.
- Ongoing assessment of youths' needs; individual counseling with youth.
- Crisis intervention in situations of physical confrontation, medical and psychiatric emergencies, and for youth who have recently experienced trauma.
- Acting as caregiver, assisting youth with daily routines and laundry, supervising them throughout the building, escorting them within the community.
- Acting as an advocate for youth both within the agency as well with external agencies.
- Gathering together and at times physically packing up youth's belongings after discharge, ensuring it is properly labelled and stored to prevent any loss of items.
- Doing intake and reception function, monitoring building to ensure safety.
- Management of external environment; by supervisor’s request completing building checks and searches.
- Assisting in training of new staff and maintenance of clothing room.
- Maintaining client files, intakes, discharges, case summaries, completion of all necessary forms pertinent to youths' plans.
- College or university degree or diploma in child and youth work or equivalent.
- Minimum two years experience in a shelter or residential setting. Knowledge of adolescent developmental theory and specific issues related to street youth.
- First Aid, CPR and basic computer skills an asset.
- Ability to identify, assess and intervene differentially with youth in crisis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of community resources.
Please note that a condition of employment is that all relief staff are required to work a minimum of 4 weekend shifts and 1 weekday shift per month.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume online through our careers page at https://covenanthouse.applytojob.com/ . Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As Canada’s largest agency serving at-risk, homeless and trafficked youth, Covenant House Toronto changes lives by providing the widest range of services and support to as many as 250 youth a day.