Marketing & Communications Specialist - Writer
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Vancouver, BC
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Who are we?
VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation is Vancouver Coastal Health's primary philanthropic partner, raising funds for specialized adult health services and research for all British Columbians. We partner with donors to drive innovation and sustainable health care at VGH & UBC Hospital, GF Strong Rehab Centre, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute and Vancouver Community Health Services. Further information about the Foundation is available at www.vghfoundation.ca.
The Marketing & Communications (MarComm) department positions VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation as a leading, well-respected philanthropic organization serving BC, in order to grow revenue and broaden and enhance the donor base. The department is responsible for the Foundation’s brand and communications strategy which supports all fundraising streams, developing and implementing integrated marketing communications including publications, online marketing, direct marketing, advertising, and public and media relations consistent with the Foundation’s brand to raise funds and meet organizational goals.
What’s the opportunity?
The Marketing & Communications Specialist - Writer is the primary writer for the Foundation’s marketing and communications materials. With a flair for writing and a thorough understanding of the Foundation’s key messages, target audiences and brand, the incumbent will develop and execute written content for a variety of channels and mediums (from social media posts to detailed patient features; print ads to speaking notes) to support the organization’s brand awareness and fundraising objectives.
As a key member of the MarComm team, you will bring a creative eye and problem-solving attitude to a collaborative team, participating in brainstorming, editorial meetings and other efforts, having a valuable impact on the direction of Foundation communications efforts.
You will: write and edit marketing and communications copy; provide copywriting direction, strategy and support to ensure message consistency; work closely with physician partners to identify story leads, create engaging content to support the Foundation’s fundraising and accountability needs; develop media releases and develop relationships with local publications, develop written communications to support fundraising and marketing initiatives, including magazine articles, brochures, event collateral, digital content, and advertisements among others; and maintain a library of patient/partner stories, ensuring a diverse range of topics and participants. Your work will be highly visible across Vancouver and will have an impact on health care in BC.
What do you bring?
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a flair for storytelling in print, online and through social media channels; experience with non-profits and/or writing about health care or scientific topics an asset
- Superior editing and proof-reading skills; organized and detail-oriented
- General knowledge of the concepts, theory and principles in the field of marketing and communications, and their application to a fundraising environment
- Excellent judgement, interpersonal skills, resourcefulness and creativity
- Demonstrated professional experience in writing and/or communications; non-profit experience an asset
- Post-secondary degree and/or diploma in journalism, communications and/or public relations or an equivalent combination of skills and experience
- Ability to manage multiple, often-competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with tight timelines
- Working knowledge of Canadian Press style guide
- Ability to think strategically and collaborate effectively with stakeholders
- Self-starter with the ability to follow through on tasks with minimal supervision
What do we offer?
The successful person can expect a competitive yearly base salary between $59,579 and $68,091, depending on skills and experience. Additional variable pay, benefits, flexible working arrangements, investment in professional development and subsidized access to fitness, cycling and parking facilities all contribute to a top-notch total rewards package. Start date: as soon as possible.
If you possess the qualifications and experience indicated, please email your resume and cover letter in a single pdf file, with your name and “Writer” in the subject line and file name, by midnight on 30th May, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome applications from Indigenous people, people with disabilities, BIPOC and racialized individuals, people of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, and others who may contribute to the Foundation's organizational diversity and who share the Foundation's values.