Mental Health Adult Intake & Outreach Worker Niagara
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- St. Catharines, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
This role will provide supports and services to Niagara, assisting clients to access care that meets their goals and needs. This role will work with both western and Indigenous services providers to help adults, caregivers, and their families to better navigate mental health and addictions services and manage mental health and addictions issues; all working towards improving patient outcomes. Community visits, assisting with ID acquisition, educational groups, culturally relevant trainings for community partners, and cultural activities will be provided through this program both independently and in partnership with the Mental Health Team and external partners. This role will also assist with the intake functions of the Mental Health team by overseeing wait lists, completing intakes & COCs with new clients as needed, managing and tracking referrals and wait lists for psychiatry, manage bus ticket logs & acquisition, managing waiting area for clients (smudging & supporting drop in clients).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- A strong connection with Aboriginal culture and traditions.
- Lived experience with mental health and/or addictions required.
- Familiarity working with people who have experienced various forms of trauma, including intergenerational & historical trauma, homelessness or precarious housing, transitions between community and hospitals
- Knowledge of local programs and supports for Mental Health and Addictions
- Experience facilitating mental wellness and cultural groups (life skills, anger, anxiety, self esteem sleeping etc)
- Experience working with individuals in active substance use and applying harm reduction approaches.
- Ability to provide one on one support in a formal or informal setting, such as drop-ins, shelters, streets, home visits.
- Ability to effectively manage disruptive behaviour and de-escalation.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Computer literacy and basic proficiency with Microsoft Office
STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS:
- College diploma, CYW, SSW or related diploma
In addition to requirements for the position, the ideal candidate would also possess some of the following qualifications:
- 2-5+ years experience working with individuals with complex needs
Please send cover letter and resume to apply for this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org