Business Development Manager
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
Location: Toronto / Remote in Canada. The organization is based in Toronto, Canada with work from home arrangements with occasional travel to War Child Canada’s countries of operation.
The successful candidate will need to travel regularly to Toronto for staff meetings, if based outside the GTA.
War Child Canada is a registered Canadian charity based in Toronto that works to accelerate peace and disrupt the cycle of violence by investing in and empowering local communities to build brighter futures through comprehensive, evidence-informed programs that foster resilience, self-reliance, and self-determination.
War Child is globally recognized for our grassroots, community-driven model of humanitarian action that’s rooted in collaboration and entirely locally led. Over the years, we have developed a solid track record of long-term, sustainable impact supporting children and families living in areas dominated by conflict.
War Child Canada works with some of the most vulnerable populations around the world and are leaders in developing and implementing programs specifically targeting and protecting children, women, and refugees living in the most complex humanitarian environments in Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Sudan, Uganda and Yemen.
Reporting to the Director, International Programs, this position will lead on proposal development and support business development for the International Programs department of War Child Canada.
This position works closely with the International Programs team to ensure high quality project design and proposal coordination for institutional donors, foundations and others. The Business Development Manager will co-ordinate the design, development and submission of new project proposals including proposal writing and editing, budget development and other submission requirements. This will include coordination with War Child Canada HQ staff and country offices to ensure proposals and related materials meet donor requirements, are clear, compelling, and well-presented.
The Business Development Manager serves as a vital link between the International Programs team and Fundraising and Marketing teams to ensure quality program design and proposal development.
Responsibilities to include:
- Co-ordinate proposal development for strong and compelling funding proposals for a variety of institutional donors and foundations, including work-back schedules from project design, proposal writing and submission, ensuring proposals align with both War Child and donor strategies.
- Co-ordinate and work with external technical consultants as needed to support the design, development, and submission of high-quality proposals.
- Research and track institutional donor priorities including Global Affairs Canada, US Government, UN, EU and other institutional donors.
- Manage and further develop pipeline tracking and business development processes and templates.
- Supports country offices to strengthen and standardize business development processes including donor mapping.
- Undertake desk research and ensure feedback from the program team in the areas of education, economic opportunities justice and child protection are incorporated, to ensure technically sound design.
- Develops project budgets in a tailored, transparent manner for donors including co-funding requirements.
- Develop supplementary materials such as info-graphics, presentations, and training materials.
- Supports the fundraising team as required on corporate and foundation donor funding proposals and pipeline.
Experience and Knowledge
- In-depth and broad-based understanding of multiple sectors and approaches to international development including a wide range of institutional, corporate funders and other donors
- Knowledge of and a demonstrated track record in business development, particularly grant funding to institutional donors (such as Global Affairs Canada, USAID, UN, EU)
- Good understanding of international development issues and related policy debates
- University degree in relevant discipline (international development, communications) and/ or equivalent professional experience
Skills and abilities
- Excellent English writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- An enthusiastic and strong team player with an ability to communicate effectively and collaborate across departments and functions within teams in Canada and internationally within War Child Canada’s program countries.
- Excellent ability to research and analyze diverse information quickly and accurately in line with donor requirements and War Child Canada’s priorities, mission and approaches
- A passion for mission-driven work and values aligned with those of War Child Canada
- Advanced formatting skills in MS Word and Excel. Skills in other computer software and online tools would be an asset to present information in a multitude of compelling and innovative ways
- Ability to multitask and work efficiently to meet often short deadlines in a multi- layered/matrix team environment
- Excellent project management, budget development and contract review skills
- Proficiency in French is an asset