- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Vancouver, BC
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
The Federation of Canadian Artists is a nonprofit visual arts organization founded in 1941 by members of the Group of Seven. Today with over 2,800 members, we exist to support emerging and established artists throughout Canada. From our permanent gallery location on Granville Island, we host between 18-24 exhibitions annually which are free for the public to enjoy.
We assist artists in their career development through the provision of exhibition, sale, networking and educational opportunities across a variety of platforms and at various locations.
Job Description: The Gallery Coordinator will report to the Executive Director and will be responsible for the commercial and artistic success of the gallery.
The role of Gallery Coordinator demands a combination of artistic awareness, business acumen, interpersonal skills and practical abilities. The person who will fill this position will lead a team of volunteers and work as a member of the gallery team.
Practicing artists are welcomed to apply, but the role does not deal directly in the creation or curation of artwork. Knowledge of and experiences in sales, business and administration are preferred over direct experience with art-making.
The following responsibilities are not an exhaustive list, but offer an insight as to the expectations of the successful candidate. Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Gallery Coordinator:
- ensures the smooth day-to-day operation of the gallery;
- plans, organizes, and presents competitions and exhibitions,
- is responsible for public relations; including social media and press releases
- keeps gallery staff briefed on technical and artistic matters relating to programming;
- organizes jurying of shows and installation of exhibitions;
- organizes and hosts exhibition openings;
- maintains the gallery's physical infrastructure and aesthetics;
- promotes exhibitions, maintaining ongoing promotion of the gallery across a variety of online platforms
- arranges transportation of work to and from the gallery, both nationally and internationally;
- works with the Sales Assistant to develop the client database, and notifies potential clients of particular works and exhibitions, according to their stated interests;
- recruits volunteers for events and gallery ambassador positions
- trains volunteers in gallery procedures;
- keeps records and archives;
- develops and updates the gallery websites;
- sells artists' work, both in the gallery and online;
- keeps up to date with industry developments and market trends;
- performs general administration, budgeting, reporting
Skills and Qualifications:
- A post-secondary degree in a related field is required, such as; Fine Arts, Art History, Business, Psychology, Philosophy.
- Familiarity with and interest in the visual arts
- Previous experience working in an art gallery
- Excellent public manner and interpersonal (oral and written) skills
- Computer literacy is required, including MS Office and database experience
- Proficient knowledge of and experience with the Adobe Creative suite
- Proficient knowledge of and experience with social media
- Must possess, or be prepared to undergo certification for "Serving It Right".
- Ability to follow policy and keep information confidential
- Well organized, multi-tasking ability and good time management skills.
- You'll need to be flexible and multi-talented.
Additional Desired Skills / Experience:
- Second Language
- Driver’s license
- Non-profit experience (as an employee / volunteer or board member)