- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Community & Social Services
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
The Operations Manager is a pivotal role in ensuring Matthew House’s operational processes are at the highest level. They will work closely with the settlement department to provide a consistent and positive welcome to newly arrived refugee claimants.
Reporting to the Executive Director, s/he will build, manage, mentor their team while maintaining efficient processes and developing integrated short and long-term plans/strategies in the areas of hospitality, property maintenance and procurement supported by detailed budgets, identified measurable targets and performance goals. The incumbent will be a key member of the management team.
- Provide leadership and support to the hospitality team, house parents and volunteer base
- Provide regular operational reports to the Executive Director and for quarterly board meetings
- Is part of the executive oversight team for Matthew House
Operational Planning and Management
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization and regularly report results to the Executive Director.
- Develop and oversee a multi-year property maintenance plan for each Matthew House properties to ensure owned and leased assets are well maintained in a timely manner.
- Oversee day-to-day operation of the organization to ensure processes are adhered to.
- Draft policies and plans for the approval of the Executive Director (board) and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes as appropriate
- Monitor, manage and improve the efficiency of support services such as Office Management, IT and HR
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects, as assigned.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Oversee onboarding for all staff and that appropriate training is provided
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate
- Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals.
- Monitor adherence to rules, regulations and procedures.
- Develop a financial plan, effectively manage operating costs and business processes to support the goal of long-term sustainability
- Utilize financial data to improve efficiency. Recommend effective strategies for the financial well-being of Matthew House
- Control inventory and procurement
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with suppliers/contractors to ensure the best value and cost savings when possible
- Working closely with Settlement to ensure the needs of residents are met
- Oversight of all household needs including meals, clothing, heating and beds
- Working closely with Settlement to ensure a smooth transition to Matthew House long-term homes or into the wider community.
- Identify and evaluate the operational risks to the organization's people, property, costs etc., and implement measures to control risks
- Ensure compliance with labor, workplace legislation and regulations
- Ensure resident safety protocols are adhered to
- Oversee property/auto insurance policies
- Ensure health and safety procedures are followed and up- to-date
Management and Other Related Duties as Assigned
- Manage employees and volunteers
- Monitoring operational budget to achieve the goals of Matthew House.
- Serve as a member of the Matthew House management team.
Manage (recruit, train, coach, reward) and coordinate the work of development volunteers.
- Maintain confidentiality and displays respect for the rights and privacy of Matthew House residents and partners.
- Adhere to all Matthew House employee policies including conduct, appearance, attendance and punctuality.
Matthew House, based in Toronto, is a nationally recognized leader in welcoming, assisting and resettling newly arrived refugee claimants who would otherwise be homeless. In addition to our main reception house, we have three transition homes where particularly vulnerable residents, such as unaccompanied teens or single mothers, may stay and receive longer-term support.
Since opening in 1998, Matthew House has assisted over 2,000 refugee claimants from 100 nations. We welcome all refugees regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation or political opinion and strive to make Matthew House a place where the dignity and hope of refugees are restored.