Director of Development
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Milton, ON
- Impact Area
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of CNLA Group of Associations’ fundraising, including: the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events and other campaigns. The Director will identify and prioritize opportunities across Canada that will have the greatest public relations impact and impact to the community it involves. Engage stakeholders and work on effective communication strategies. The Director works closely with The Executive Team and the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavours.
- Must embrace the missions of the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association, Green Cities Foundation and Communities in Bloom.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, sales and sponsorship.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits, fundraising calls and program development.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising, sales or sponsorship environment.
ACTUAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Develop or support member programs that generate funds for the organizations and add value to stakeholders.
- Develop and execute an annual development program, including marketing, affinity program uptake and fundraising drives.
- Coordinate fundraising special events.
- Oversee prospect research.
- Work closely with CiB and GCF Executive Director, CNLA Executive Director and Communications Chair.
- Be the staff support for Development Committees.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Collaborate with other staff.
- Oversee communication pieces in association publications to support fund raising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Competitive/commensurate with experience and other qualifications.