- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- Economic Development
- Impact Category
- Social Good
- Company Type
- B Corp
About this position
GrantBook (www.grantbook.org) is looking for a talented and highly-motivated full-time Managing Director. You will work closely with our team of 12 Toronto-based philanthropy solutions advisors and with our foundation clients, who represent leading grantmakers across North America and Europe.
Ideally, the candidate is based in Toronto, ON to work in our main office at the Centre for Social Innovation, Annex. Strong candidates based in philanthropic hubs, including the U.S. Northeast, Detroit, Chicago, and the West Coast may also be considered.
The Managing Director reports to GrantBook’s Board of Directors. Each director is committed to serving as a peer mentor to you for the duration of your tenure at GrantBook. You will have three direct reports: Director of Client Services, Director of Operations and Finance, and Director of Partner and Relationship Development.
To learn more about GrantBook’s expertise, team, services, and philosophy, please refer to our website: https://www.grantbook.org.
The Managing Director is responsible for:
- Refining and executing GrantBook’s overall business strategy in collaboration with GrantBook’s Board of Directors, strategy team, broader team, and partners
- Ensuring the continued growth of active business lines while also developing new business lines that align with the company’s strategy
- Creating opportunities for advancement for current team members and hiring new team members as the company grows.
- Monitor and report on indicators of overall business health & mission fulfillment
- Propose and implement enhancements to GrantBook’s strategy
- Develop bold new ideas that draw on your interests and areas of expertise
- Prepare and present quarterly updates to the Board of Directors
Marketing & Sales
- Build relationships with prospective clients, strategic partners, and sector leaders
- Maintain and deepen relationships with existing clients and channel partners
- Draft, submit, present and win contracts that align with our capacity & capabilities
- Attend industry conferences and gatherings in North America & Europe
- Review, improve, and contribute to marketing and knowledge-sharing campaigns
Team Building & Retention
- Regularly evaluate team structure and staffing requirements
- Identify and propose changes to current and future team structure as needed
- Develop and execute on growth strategies
- Recruit and retain team members
- Provide actionable and regular feedback directly, and in collaboration with each team member’s direct supervisor
- Perform other duties as reasonably required to enhance GrantBook's overall operations
- Have fun, work as a team and "get it done"
- Meet regularly with mentors and/or advisors
- Ability to lead collaboratively and openly, inviting input and dialogue from the strategy team and all other team members
- Prior experience leading an organization that empowers team members to make decisions and resolve complex challenges through integrative thinking
- Prior responsibility for cash flow management and profitability oversight in a business context and strong financial literacy (Income Statement, Balance Sheet)
- 10 - 15 years of experience in business development and marketing for a service-based business (i.e. management, strategy, process, technology or other consulting)
- 10 - 15 years of project management and/or technology implementation experience in a leadership capacity
- Demonstrated interest in and experience working at the intersection the philanthropy, strategy, and technology
- Previous paid, volunteer, and/or governance experience in a nonprofit or philanthropic setting is required
- High emotional intelligence and a human-centred and evidence-based approach to problem-solving is required
- Post-secondary education or certificate in Project Management, Business Administration, Information Technology and/or Marketing & Sales is preferred
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- High comfort level in the use of cloud solutions, such as Google Apps, Salesforce, Dropbox, Smartsheet, AirTable and Trello
GrantBook is an established philanthropy & digital solutions team committed to helping grantmakers adopt a digital mindset to reach their highest potential.
Impact: Improve the flow of $100 billion in capital to drive catalytic social change. We focus exclusively on grantmakers & affiliate groups and help them realize the full potential of their strategic mandate, technology systems, and human capacities.