Policy Specialist, One Youth
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Toronto, ON
- Impact Area
- International Relief/Development/Peace
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
A Career Opportunity
UNICEF is the world’s farthest-reaching humanitarian organization for children. Across 190 countries and territories, and in the world’s toughest places, we work day in and day out to help children survive. To defend their rights. To keep them protected, healthy and educated. To give them a fair chance to fulfil their potential. Our work for every child relies entirely on voluntary support, including donations from generous Canadians.
Policy Specialist, One Youth (Permanent; Full-time; based in Toronto)
The Policy Specialist, One Youth has an exciting role in UNICEF Canada – influencing public policy and stakeholder practice to advance the rights and well-being of Canada’s children and youth. Reporting to the Director, Policy and Research, you will identify, design and deliver opportunities to influence legislation, policies, investments, practices and knowledge in all levels of government and across the child and youth serving sector. You will collaborate with colleagues in UNICEF Canada’s innovation lab to mobilize data and policy analysis for and with kids, and convene stakeholders to participate in designing solutions.
You’re agile enough to take our strategic plan and figure out where we can make the greatest impact; you want to solve problems in novel ways and you are very comfortable engaging influential government decision-makers and child-serving organizations. You will not have staff that report to you but you’ll draw on your experience in advocacy and your knowledge of the policymaking process to mentor and support those around you. The work will be challenging and deeply meaningful. Like your team-mates, you will embrace a fast pace and are comfortable trying out new ways to inspire and engage Canadians.
The responsibilities of the position will include:
Policy analysis and influence (45%)
- Identify and respond to opportunities to influence public policy affecting children’s rights and well-being, drawing on your knowledge of the policy environment and your stakeholder network.
- Use your experience designing advocacy initiatives to determine and deliver effective advocacy strategies and tactics.
- Develop legislative briefs, policy analysis, presentations and appropriate communications for/with governments and stakeholders, drawing on your knowledge of Canadian child and youth policy, UNICEF’s data and Canada’s children’s rights obligations.
- Hone your policy influence and advocacy tactics: Use and experiment with new ways to grow a network of influence, mobilize knowledge, design campaigns and identify the right tactics for your objectives.
- Design youth participation opportunities in collaboration with UNICEF Canada’s Youth Participation Lead.
- Design and manage public advocacy campaigns in conjunction with Communications in order to engage the public effectively on issues related to child and youth well-being.
- Proactively monitor current developments in government, research and public discourse on children’s rights issues in Canada and internationally and raise opportunities for action.
- Develop a strong knowledge of UNICEF’s overall policies and programs.
- Decide and manage the work of occasional interns, student placements and volunteers.
Stakeholder engagement and advocacy (45%)
- Develop and sustain positive, strategic relationships and effectively communicate with stakeholders in government, civil society organizations and networks, and academic/research institutions, to inform, influence and facilitate collaboration in various initiatives.
- Maintain relationships, coordinate meetings and represent UNICEF Canada at meetings with policy staff at departmental and parliamentary levels.
- Contribute to a comprehensive government relations strategy.
- Support senior team members in advocacy related activities through briefings and proactive issues identification.
- Participate in / or present at forums and in coalitions, as required.
- Plan and manage events and initiatives, research, and training related to child and youth policy.
- Contribute to diverse stakeholder communications (including Web, e-news, social media).
- Develop key relationships with UNICEF globally related to domestic policy work.
- Manage a stakeholder database.
Organizational development (10%)
- Contribute to internal monitoring and evaluation.
- Play an expert role on project teams to identify policy influence opportunities, participating in Agile planning, team meetings, events and other initiatives.
- Collaborate with and coach the people around you to develop knowledge of the state of children and youth and a children’s rights approach to UNICEF Canada’s work.
- Support a youth-centric perspective and produce results/deliver value every day.
- Ensure integrity with the organizational mission and values in all activities.
- Maintain an effective system to organize information and documentation.
- Maintain accurate financial and activity records to ensure project/program accountability.
- Develop and manage materials including translation and production services.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A post-secondary degree in Public Policy, Political Science, or related field.
- A minimum of four (4) to five (5) years of relevant work experience.
- A strong knowledge of Canadian governance, parliamentary, policy-making and law-making processes.
- Experience in policy analysis, research and advocacy skills and government relations.
- A good understanding of issues affecting children and youth in Canada.
- Knowledge of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and the international human rights system (an asset).
- Strong project management skills, with superb attention to detail and quality while meeting deadlines and multitasking in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- The ability to work cross-functionally.
- French language or Indigenous cultural competency (an asset).
Organization Description not provided