Overnight Residential Support Worker (Awake)
- Job Type
- Job Level
- Experienced (non manager)
- Richmond Hill, ON
- Impact Area
- Community & Social Services
- Impact Category
- Company Type
About this position
At Griffin Centre, we assist over 8,500 people each year to recognize their strengths, achieve their goals and improve their lives. Griffin Centre promotes positive change for vulnerable youth and adults with mental health challenges and/or developmental disabilities and their families. We are dedicated to delivering innovative services and developing creative partnerships that enhance lives and communities.
We offer: Competitive salaries, supplemental health benefits, pension plan, paid vacation and sick days, collaborative and inclusive work environment, and most of all, a chance to make a difference in the lives of vulnerable youth and adults.
Griffin Centre is currently hiring one full-time employee for a 6-month contract and one part-time permanent employee for the position as Overnight Residential Support Worker. This position is within one of our Adult Residential Programs located close to Elgin Mills Rd. and Yonge St. These positions are based on a rotating schedule (weekdays and weekends) and 10 hours per shift.
The residential program focuses on assessing the individuals’ needs and helping treatment interventions that would support in their development of social, life and anger management skills while they live in a collaborative team environment.
The major position responsibilities include:
- Remain awake throughout the night to ensure a supportive, safe and predictable environment;
- Follow and implement the prescribed individual treatment plans and facilitate social and life skills training for the clients in relation to morning routines;
- Ensure ongoing communication of pertinent events to other staff and supervisors through the shift change process and communication book;
- Carry out all safety requirements and emergency procedures;
- Assume various responsibilities in accordance with the operation of the residence (ie. daily logs & house maintenance).
Preference will be given to an individual with knowledge and experience in supporting persons with a dual diagnosis within the adult sector and experience in the implementation of service plans, which are sensitive to and include the following: sexual orientation, ethno-racial needs, social and life skills as well as behavioural assessment and management techniques.
As a member of an extensive clinical team you are required to have:
- A Social Service Worker (SSW) Diploma, a Child and Youth Worker (CYW) Diploma, or equivalent education and/or experience;
- At least two years of experience working in a residential setting with a focus on the development and implementation of treatment plans, preferably with individuals with complex needs;
- Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity, including lifting, bending and prolonged standing as well as the ability to be trained in CPI (Crisis Prevention Institute) techniques;
- A valid Ontario driver’s licence is an asset, as is fluency in French or other second language.
In addition you need to have demonstrated abilities to:
- Work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team;
- Operate in collaboration with a range of professional and non-professional individuals;
- Function as an independent self-starter with limited “on-site” supervision;
- Adapt philosophy, knowledge and skills to a residential based setting;
- Demonstrate knowledge of dual diagnosis, and the impact on the clients and their families;
- Exhibit leadership within a team environment.
If you have the above qualifications and are ready to make a difference, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, by Thursday, March 7, 2019. Please quote file #09-19 in the subject line of your application and indicate where you saw this job posting.
Griffin Centre offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment process. If you are contacted by Griffin Centre regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
GRIFFIN CENTRE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
WE VALUE DIVERSITY AND WELCOME APPLICANTS FROM ALL CULTURES, ABILITIES, AND SEXUAL AND GENDER IDENTITIES.
Organization Description not provided